Home > Current Affairs > What a Crazy Day!!

What a Crazy Day!!

Forney High School was evacuated Friday morning after a bomb threat was called into the sheriff’s office, a representative at the Forney ISD said.

Authorities swept the campus and reported at 11:40 a.m. that no bomb had been found, said Jennie Moore, a school district spokewoman.

Students were relocated to the middle school as authorities swept the campus, Ms. Moore said.

Parents who picked up their children will return them to classes, and remaning students will be transported back to high school for the remainder of the day, Ms. Moore said.

About 1,700 students attend the high school.

[From Students returning to Forney High after bomb threat | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News ]

Trey called me this morning about 10:00am. When I saw his name on the phone I thought, “What did you forget this time?” But it was a different kind of call. He told me about the bomb threat and how they evacuated the school and taken them all to the Middle School. And now they were told if they had phones to call their parents to come and get them. So I said okay and promptly left to do so. I drove to the Middle School before being told that I had gone to the wrong one. We have two now. The newest one will officially open in August. That is the one where they were held and was, of course, clear on the other side of town. After sitting in line about an hour on the only road that goes by the school, I was able to park and join the throng of parents waiting for their kids.

And wait we did. We were instructed to write our child’s name on a list which would be used to inform the student that their ride was present. The problem was that the kids were in two different locations and were really loud and not able to hear their names when they were called. I was standing outside in the wind and constantly dropping temperatures for two hours. It was starting to get ugly. People nerves were shot, they were cold and most (including me) could not understand what the huge hold-up was. These kids were 14-18 years old. How about letting the out on the football field and let parents find their child and then verify ID with someone as they leave? Anything would be better than what actually happened.

I don’t really have the answer. It seems that the school did a great job evacuating and getting the kids to safety. With that many kids – not a easy job to say the least. I am thankful that they had a plan and the plan worked. But did they have a plan for the release of the students. I don’t think so. At least, it didn’t seem well thought out. Maybe that should be the next thing they work up.

The article appeared in the Dalls Morning News but is not exactly correct. I seriously doubt anyone who picked up the child took them back to the school. I know I didn’t. Not after standing in the cold for two hours. Happy Bomb-threat Day, Trey. You have the rest of the day off. By the time we actually left the Middle School there was only 2 hours of school left anyway. It seemed kind of pointless to me.

Categories: Current Affairs
  1. Shanna Wynne
    March 30, 2008 at 9:15 pm

    Hey Mr.Dorsey,
    Shanna from church. I run the cameras with Trey. I had another friend who was there and he text me after the whole thing happened. I didn’t get to ask Trey about it. I remember being in a bomb thret when I was little. Ugh, no more.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: